NOTICE: Due to changes in the Department of Immigration and Border Protection regulations, the 402 visa is closed to new applications and no longer available. The visa has been replaced by subclass  407.


The Training and Research visa (subclass 402) is for people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in occupational training, observe or participate in research as a visiting academic, or participate in a professional development program. This is not a work visa. This visa has three streams, at this stage IFS Training will only sponsor for the Occupational Trainee stream:

  • Occupational Trainee stream: for people who need structured workplace-based training to enhance their skills in their current occupation, area of tertiary study, or field of expertise.


  • Professional Development stream: for professionals, managers or government officials invited to participate in a professional development training program in Australia. The program must have been arranged by an employer outside Australia and usually lasts up to 18 months.
  • Research stream: for professional academics invited to visit Australia to observe or participate in an Australian research project at an Australian tertiary or research institution.

To apply in the Occupational Trainee or Research stream: you and anyone included in your application can be in or outside Australia when you apply: Applying in Australia: If you are inside Australia you must lodge your application in Australia. Applying outside Australia: If you are outside Australia you must lodge your application outside Australia. You may be in or outside Australia at time of grant regardless of where the visa has been lodged. To apply in the Professional Development stream: you must be outside Australia when you apply and when the visa is granted. Your sponsor can lodge the application on your behalf. Source: